Sandridge [Port Melbourne]. Louis Buvelot, Swiss/ Aust.
Go Back

Sandridge [Port Melbourne]

1866. Pencil drawing, dated and titled lower centre and right, 23 x 34.7cm. Slight foxing and soiling.

Port Melbourne was first named Sandridge by William Darke, one of three surveyors sent by Governor Bourke in 1836 to survey the shore of Port Phillip Bay and plot the course of the Yarra River. The name described the ‘mile upon mile of sand dunes’ that were a defining feature of the foreshore. Ref: Port Melbourne Historical & Preservation Society.

.
Item #CL169-27

Please contact us re availability  other currencies