Go Back

Redfern Railway Station [First Station]

c1871. Albumen paper photograph, annotated “590”, titled in an unknown hand in pencil verso, 16 x 26.2cm. Minor surface loss and perforations to centre and right portions of image, stains and foxing overall, small chips to edges.

“Redfern” was the name of the principal Sydney railway terminus, located to the south of Devonshire Street, which opened on 26 September 1855 in an area known as Cleveland Fields. This original “Redfern” station comprised one wooden platform in a corrugated iron shed. As traffic increased this station was replaced in 1874 by a brick building containing two platforms. This second station, which grew to 14 platforms, was found to be too far from the city centre, so a new station (the present Sydney Central Station) was built to the north of Devonshire Street and opened on 4 August 1906. The 1874 station was subsequently demolished.

Redfern station was named after surgeon William Redfern, who was granted 100 acres of land in this area in 1817 by Governor Lachlan Macquarie. One of his neighbours was Captain Cleveland, an officer of the 73rd regiment, who built Cleveland House. Ref: Wiki.

.
Item #CL169-32

Price (AUD): $1,250.00  Other currencies

See all items in Photography