[Panorama Of Port Jackson, Sydney, NSW]
Go Back

[Panorama Of Port Jackson, Sydney, NSW]

c1888. Six-panel albumen paper photograph panorama, 21.8 x 151.2cm. Slight discolouration and tear to left portion, slight foxing and stains to right portion, minor silvering and crinkles overall.

Taken from “Clifton” House, Kirribilli Point. Shows views of Miller’s Point, The Rocks, Circular Quay, Bennelong Point, Botanic Gardens, Mrs Macquarie’s Chair, Fort Denison, Farm Cove and Garden Island. “Clifton” House, located on the corner of Pitt and Peel Streets, at Kirribilli Point on Sydney’s north shore, was a stone-built villa originally erected in the mid-1840s. Although not absolute waterfront, the site would have enjoyed extensive views of the harbour. The property was purchased in 1852 by Sydney wine merchant William Tucker (1814-1888). Tucker was the first mayor of East St Leonards and one of the first directors of the City Bank in Sydney. He was also involved in the formation of the North Shore Steam Ferry Company. After William died in 1888 “Clifton” was inherited by his son, Walter Clifton Churchill Tucker. The house was demolished in 1965-66. Ref: Caroline Simpson Research Library, Sydney Living Museum; North Sydney Council.

.
Item #CL185-16

Price (AUD): $5,500.00  Other currencies

See all items in Photography