Mark Foy’s Store and Hugh Victor Foy
Mark Foy’s Store and Hugh Victor Foy
Go Back

Mark Foy’s Store and Hugh Victor Foy

c1910-c1930s.

(1) [Mark Foy’s Building, Sydney], c1910. Vintage silver gelatin photograph, 26.2 x 31cm. Slight silvering, minor foxing, crazing. Framed.

Mark Foy’s Department Store, known as “The Piazza”, opened in 1909 on the block bounded by Liverpool, Elizabeth and Castlereagh Streets, Sydney. Since 1985 the building has operated as The Downing Centre Law Courts. Ref: Dictionary of Sydney.

(2) [Hugh Victor Foy, Mark Foy’s Department Store], c1930s. Ink and wash with gouache, signed “B. Hickey” in image lower right, captioned in pencil in lower margin, 41.8 x 29.3cm. Slight foxing, stains.

Caption reads “Mr. H.V. Foy, Managing Director, Mark Foys Ltd. President of National Coursing Assn. Keen greyhound courser & breeder. Horse racing enthusiast and breeder.” In 1927, Frederick “Judge” Swindell set up the Greyhound Coursing Association, along with prominent retailers Hugh Foy and Anthony Hordern. Ref: Daily Telegraph, 8.7.2016.

.
Item #CL187-127

Price (AUD): $1,450.00  Other currencies

See all items in Paintings & Drawings, Photography