Grace Bros Bondi Junction [Myer]
Go Back

Grace Bros Bondi Junction [Myer]

c1954. Charcoal and gouache on board, signed “Deller” in gouache lower left, captioned in ink verso, 50.6 x 60.8cm. Pinholes, minor paint loss and creases.

Caption reads “Aerial perspective of new department store, Oxford St, Bondi Junction for Grace Bros Pty Ltd. D.T. Morrow and Gordon, Architects, 129 Pitt St, Sydney. Builders, John Grant & Sons Pty Ltd. Estimated completion date: March 1957.”

Grace Bros established their first store on George Street (Broadway) in 1885. The store enjoyed great popularity until the 1930s, when the Sydney Harbour Bridge opened and diverted traffic from the area. As a response, Grace Bros opened two new stores in Parramatta (1933) and Bondi Junction (1934). Both were redesigned in the 1950s, with more than £500,000 spent on the addition of rooftop parking for 120 cars at the Bondi Junction store. Ref: Wiki; SMH, 18.05.1954.

.
Item #CL194-149

Please contact us re availability  other currencies