Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Swiss Society Of NSW Collection
Go Back

Swiss Society Of NSW Collection

c1895-1920s. Thirteen (13) items comprising of nine vintage silver gelatin photographs, two printout paper photographs and one platinum palladium photograph, plus one lithograph, five photographs with studio lines “Hall & Co., Sydney”; “Norman Photo, 19 Market St, Sydney”; or “The Swiss Studios, Sydney”, 10.8 x 14.8cm to 34.5 x 26.6cm. Silvering, surface loss, foxing, tears and cracks, all laid down on original backing. One photograph in original frame.

Most photographs are group shots depicting members holding the Swiss Society of NSW flag designed in 1895. The lithograph concerns the legend of the oath taken by three regional representatives in 1291 to establish a confederacy, eventually becoming Switzerland. The text reads “‘Le Grutli.’ Lugardon pinxit. E. Fregevize lith d’apres Leon Noel. [The three oath-takers] Werner Stauffacher, Walter Fürst, Arnold an der Halden von Melchtal.”

“The origins of the Swiss Club of NSW [SCNSW] began in the feverish migration of workers to Australia during the Gold Rush era of the 1850s…On 2 Sept. 1898 in Pfahlert’s Hotel Sydney, seven Swiss men formed a ‘benefit society’ for the Swiss residents of NSW. The main objectives of the Society were ‘to give advice and information to those of Swiss nationality newly arrived in the colony’ and to assist ‘any Swiss in NSW in want of help and worthy to receive assistance.’…In 1924, the Swiss Society of NSW was changed into the Swiss Club of NSW.” Ref: SCNSW.

.
Item #CL194-79

Price (AUD): $3,300.00  Other currencies

See all items in Photography