Subdivision Of Block XV, Camperdown [Estate, NSW]
Go Back

Subdivision Of Block XV, Camperdown [Estate, NSW]

1842–1843. Black and red ink with watercolour on paper, backed with linen, titled and dated “November 1842” in ink on upper portion, 73.5 x 32cm. Old folds, stains, missing portions, creases.

Annotations include “Vide subseq’t plan in substitution hereof, date of 25 October 1843.” The map shows a Camperdown Road, which was later changed to Church Street and then to Layton Street. The two private roads listed are now called Purkis Street and Lambert Street; the side road is now Lyons Road. The depicted block of land runs from Parramatta Road and what is now Pyrmont Bridge Road, shown on the map as “Property of Abraham Moses.” Provenance: Daniel Cooper estate.

This area was part of the first subdivision and land sale in the Camperdown/Newtown area in Sydney. Originally owned by Governor Bligh, it was subdivided in 1842 by his daughter Mary. A controversial figure, openly hostile towards opponents of her father, she was married to Maurice O‘Connell who would become Acting Governor in 1846. Ref: City of Sydney, 2019.

Daniel Cooper (1785–1853) was a pardoned convict who amassed a fortune in the 1820s through real estate and various business interests including whaling, sealing, shipping, and the export of Australian wool, mostly through the trading firm known as Cooper and Levey’s. The firm acquired John Piper’s estate when it was sold, comprising over 1100 acres at Woollahra and Rose Bay; Cooper also owned parts of Liverpool. He later became involved in the banking business, becoming a governor of the Bank of NSW in 1828. Ref: ADB.

.
Item #CL198-164

Price (AUD): $6,600.00  other currencies

See all items in Cabinet