Subdivision Of Lots 26 & 27, Point Piper Estate [NSW]
Go Back

Subdivision Of Lots 26 & 27, Point Piper Estate [NSW]

c1850–1860s. Black and red ink and watercolour on linen, titled in ink across centre, 53.5 x 56.5cm. Old folds, slight stains.

Map shows New South Head Road, Reserved Road (later Manning Road) and Edgecliffe [sic] Road with Maravi House at lower right, fronting onto Edgecliffe Road. Provenance: Daniel Cooper estate.

“After 1854, land in Woollahra was offered as 99-year leases by the trustees of the Point Piper Estate. Samuel Thompson secured a lease of over two acres on the eastern side of Edgecliffe Road, opposite Albert Street. Within a few years a stone house with slate roof, known as Maravi, had been built on the site. The house, overlooking Double Bay, had a circular drive with stables, a coach house and terraced gardens…Thompson continued to live there with his family until 1883…The Thompson’s property at Woollahra was re-subdivided in 1923 and the house, by then known as Castlefield, was converted to residential flats.” Ref: Woollahra Council, 2019.

Daniel Cooper (1785–1853) was a pardoned convict who amassed a fortune in the 1820s through real estate and various business interests including whaling, sealing, shipping, and the export of Australian wool, mostly through the trading firm known as Cooper and Levey’s. The firm acquired John Piper’s estate when it was sold, comprising over 1100 acres at Woollahra and Rose Bay; Cooper also owned parts of Liverpool. He later became involved in the banking business, becoming a governor of the Bank of NSW in 1828. Ref: ADB.

.
Item #CL198-169

Price (AUD): $3,300.00  other currencies

See all items in Cabinet