Liverpool. Parish Of St Luke, County Of Cumberland [NSW]
Go Back

Liverpool. Parish Of St Luke, County Of Cumberland [NSW]

c1860s–1870s. Black and red ink and blue pencil on linen, titled in ink lower right, 46.5 x 55cm. Old folds, creases, slight foxing, uneven margins.

Shows the early street layout of Liverpool in Sydney’s western suburbs and notes 17 allotments of land owned by “D. [Daniel] Cooper.” Provenance: Daniel Cooper estate.

Daniel Cooper (1785–1853) was a pardoned convict who amassed a fortune in the 1820s through real estate and various business interests including whaling, sealing, shipping, and the export of Australian wool, mostly through the trading firm known as Cooper and Levey’s. The firm acquired John Piper’s estate when it was sold, comprising over 1100 acres at Woollahra and Rose Bay; Cooper also owned parts of Liverpool. He later became involved in the banking business, becoming a governor of the Bank of NSW in 1828. Ref: ADB.

.
Item #CL198-170

Price (AUD): $4,400.00  other currencies

See all items in Cabinet