Tracing Of A Road From Lake Illawarra To Dapto [NSW]
Go Back

Tracing Of A Road From Lake Illawarra To Dapto [NSW]

c1870s–1880s. Ink on linen, titled lower centre, 38 x 61.5cm. Old folds, foxing overall, minor tears.

Title continues “Proposed to be opened as a parish road under Act of Council, 4 Win IV, No. II.” Provenance: Daniel Cooper estate.

The road proposed in this map is now called Kanahooka Road in Dapto. The church shown in the map is St Luke’s Anglican Church in Brownsville. The map also lists some of the early landowners of the time, including grazier and horse breeder Pat Hill Osborne (1832–1902) who briefly became a member of NSW State Parliament.

Daniel Cooper (1785–1853) was a pardoned convict who amassed a fortune in the 1820s through real estate and various business interests including whaling, sealing, shipping, and the export of Australian wool, mostly through the trading firm known as Cooper and Levey’s. The firm acquired John Piper’s estate when it was sold, comprising over 1100 acres at Woollahra and Rose Bay; Cooper also owned parts of Liverpool. He later became involved in the banking business, becoming a governor of the Bank of NSW in 1828. Ref: ADB.

.
Item #CL198-172

Price (AUD): $2,200.00  other currencies

See all items in Cabinet