Tracing Plan Of Rosemont, Near Double Bay [NSW]
Go Back

Tracing Plan Of Rosemont, Near Double Bay [NSW]

1883. Red and black ink on tracing paper, titled lower right, dated “May 1883” twice and annotated throughout, 22.2 x 47cm. Repaired lower right corner, old folds, tears.

Annotations in ink include reference to owners of land around Rosemont: “Miss Moore, now Mrs Kent. W. Lamb Esq’re, now The Hon F.M. Darley, May 1883.” Provenance: Daniel Cooper estate.

Built circa 1857 for Alexander Campbell from stone quarried in the grounds, Rosemont was set in elaborate gardens on land now bounded by Trelawney, Ocean and Albert Streets and Rosemont Avenue. In the 1860s, some of the garden was leased to various friends of Campbell, and a number of other houses were built; at one time, one of them was home to Dame Nellie Melba. Campbell also provided some of his land for the building of All Saints Church, Woollahra. Over the years, Rosemont has been owned by a series of personages, including Hon. J. T. Walker; Sir Charles and Lady Mackellar, the father of poet Dorothea Mackellar; Sir Samuel and Lady Cohen; Sir Wallaroy John Garvan; and Mr and Mrs Charles Lloyd Jones. It is now surrounded by houses built after a 1912 subdivision. The original grounds, over 80 acres, were reduced to less than one acre. Ref: Wiki.

Daniel Cooper (1785–1853) was a pardoned convict who amassed a fortune in the 1820s through real estate and various business interests including whaling, sealing, shipping, and the export of Australian wool, mostly through the trading firm known as Cooper and Levey’s. The firm acquired John Piper’s estate when it was sold, comprising over 1100 acres at Woollahra and Rose Bay; Cooper also owned parts of Liverpool. He later became involved in the banking business, becoming a governor of the Bank of NSW in 1828. Ref: ADB.

.
Item #CL198-176

Price (AUD): $2,950.00  other currencies

See all items in Cabinet