Wyndella, Cadarga, And Maesgwyn, New South Head Road, Woollahra [NSW Properties]
Wyndella, Cadarga, And Maesgwyn, New South Head Road, Woollahra [NSW Properties]
Wyndella, Cadarga, And Maesgwyn, New South Head Road, Woollahra [NSW Properties]
Wyndella, Cadarga, And Maesgwyn, New South Head Road, Woollahra [NSW Properties]
Go Back

Wyndella, Cadarga, And Maesgwyn, New South Head Road, Woollahra [NSW Properties]

1907. Black and red ink on linen, titled upper right, accompanying letters dated in ink, 31 x 35.5cm. Old folds, stains.

Map accompanied by two handwritten letters on printed stationery from “Atchison & Schleicher, Civil Engineers and Surveyors” and one typed page signed from Atchison and Schleicher. The letters, addressed to E.K. Harkness of Double Bay, detail the land and houses in the map. The surveyors also note three important houses of the time: “detached brick cottages with tiled roof” Wyndella, Cadarga, Maesgwyn. The houses Ohio and Numba are also seen on the map, all fronting along New South Head Road near the corner of Manning Road, Double Bay. Provenance: Daniel Cooper estate.

Daniel Cooper (1785–1853) was a pardoned convict who amassed a fortune in the 1820s through real estate and various business interests including whaling, sealing, shipping, and the export of Australian wool, mostly through the trading firm known as Cooper and Levey’s. The firm acquired John Piper’s estate when it was sold, comprising over 1100 acres at Woollahra and Rose Bay; Cooper also owned parts of Liverpool. He later became involved in the banking business, becoming a governor of the Bank of NSW in 1828. Ref: ADB.

.
Item #CL198-180

Price (AUD): $2,950.00  other currencies

See all items in Cabinet