Victorian Rangers And Band, High St, Maryborough [Victoria]. O F. Plucke, 1861–1948 Aust.
Go Back

Victorian Rangers And Band, High St, Maryborough [Victoria]

c1914. Vintage silver gelatin photograph, captioned in negative lower left, signed “O.F. Plucke, Maryborough” in ink on backing below image, 10.8 x 15cm. Laid down on original backing.

The Victorian Rangers in this image may be going off to WWI. The Victorian Rangers was a volunteer regiment that was first raised in 1888. The regiment was later re-organised in 1911 as the 73rd Infantry Battalion (Victorian Rangers). The State Library of Victoria holds one photograph by O.F. Plucke, dated 1906 of the local fire brigade.

Amateur photographer Oliver Francis “Frank” Plucke (active from 1895) lived in Maryborough, Victoria and predominately earned a living as an ironmonger. He won second prize for The Wreck of the Clipper in the “Humorous Subjects” category in The Australasian Second Photographic Competition on 17 August 1895. His photography, which included images of swagmen, swans and children, was published in the newspaper from 1895 to 1896. Ref: Australian War Memorial; State Library of Victoria;The Australasian, 29.2.1896; The Argus, 1.4.1949.

.
Item #CL203-23

Price (AUD): $990.00  other currencies

See all items in Photography