Brickyards, Federal Capital [ACT]
Go Back

Brickyards, Federal Capital [ACT]

1915. Vintage silver gelatin photograph, postcard format, titled in white ink on image lower centre, postmarked and inscribed in ink verso, including date “25-2-15”, 8.8 x 13.9cm. Ink mark and paper remnant to image centre and lower left, minor wear to edges.

The postcard, from George H. of Queanbeyan, NSW, to Miss Clara Cooper, is about mutual friends going to Sydney to enlist for WWI. The image shows a brickyard, possibly part of the construction of Canberra. An ink mark above one of the workers is most likely the correspondent (George H.).

In 1910, it was planned to establish a brickworks to support the building of the proposed federal capital city. The site chosen for the brickworks was at Yarralumla, part of a sheep paddock. In 1912 construction of the brickyards was carried out. The area, including campsites for the workers, was known as the Brickworks or Brickyards until 1917 when it was renamed Westridge by architect Walter Burley Griffin. In 1927 Westridge was changed to Yarralumla. Ref: Wiki; canberracamps.webs.com.

.
Item #CL203-27

Price (AUD): $880.00  other currencies

See all items in Photography