[The Band Of Gold No. 2 Shaft, Skipton Street, Ballarat, Victoria]. William Bardwell, 1836–1929 Aust.
Go Back

[The Band Of Gold No. 2 Shaft, Skipton Street, Ballarat, Victoria]

c1869. Albumen paper photograph, carte-de-visite format, “Bardwell’s Royal Studio” photographer’s line printed on backing below image and verso, 6 x 8.5cm. Slight stains and soiling, laid down on original backing.

The photographer’s line includes “[Studio] opposite theatre, Ballarat. By special appointment to HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.” The photograph shows the Band of Hope No. 2 goldmine shaft with the Atlantic Hotel on the right in Skipton Street, Ballarat, Victoria. Image held in the Art Gallery of NSW.

The Band of Hope goldmine was “begun in 1858 by 120 men who blasted through 100 feet of basalt until they came upon an underground lake. Large pumps were required to drain out the water. No gold was found until they had pierced through the basalt. In 1865 they found the gutter they were searching for and it became one of the richest gold mines in the world. In one day in 1868 a record yield worth 11,752 pounds was obtained from the No. 2 mine shaft.”

The first member of the royal family to visit Australia was Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh (1844–1900) during his command of the HMS Galatea. He arrived in Adelaide in October 1867 and continued on to Melbourne, Tasmania, Sydney and Brisbane. His visit included going down a Band of Gold mine shaft on 10 December 1867 in Ballarat, Victoria. Ref: bih.federation.edu.au; National Portrait Gallery; State Library of Victoria.

.
Item #CL203-3

Price (AUD): $1,650.00  other currencies

See all items in Photography