Gillies Highway. Cairns-Atherton Tableland, NQ
Go Back

Gillies Highway. Cairns-Atherton Tableland, NQ

c1934. Vintage silver gelatin photograph on toned paper, titled in white ink on backing below image, 29.7 x 37.6cm. Slight foxing, minor chips to edges, laid down on original backing. Original frame and mount.

This image includes a 1920s tourer with an early licence plate number of “HV005,” indicating it was one of the first cars to use this highway. The Gillies Highway, previously named Cairns Range Road, was officially opened in mid-1926, making it possible to travel from Cairns to the Tableland in two-and-a-half hours. “As the road was only wide enough for one-way traffic, it would flow in different directions at various times of day according to a timetable.” The Gillies Highway was named after William Gillies, a former premier of Queensland in March 1934. Ref: Wiki.

.
Item #CL203-49

Price (AUD): $1,100.00  other currencies

See all items in Photography