Item #CL205-45 Ye History Of Prefabrication In Terra Australis [Promotional Christmas Card From Vandyke Brothers Homes]. George Molnar, 1910–1998 Hungarian/Aust.
Ye History Of Prefabrication In Terra Australis [Promotional Christmas Card From Vandyke Brothers Homes]
Ye History Of Prefabrication In Terra Australis [Promotional Christmas Card From Vandyke Brothers Homes]
Ye History Of Prefabrication In Terra Australis [Promotional Christmas Card From Vandyke Brothers Homes]
Ye History Of Prefabrication In Terra Australis [Promotional Christmas Card From Vandyke Brothers Homes]
Go Back

Ye History Of Prefabrication In Terra Australis [Promotional Christmas Card From Vandyke Brothers Homes]

c1950. Colour lineblock, multi-panel foldout card, initialled “G.M.” in last panel, captions and illustrations throughout, 11.3 x 172.3cm. Repaired and repainted lower left portion on first panel, slight discolouration and wear including minor tears to edges, old folds.

Captions include “Ye people have had it. Houses are short. Ye Vandyke Prefab House is planned and built. In search for ye new, Christopher Vandyke discovers Europa. The natives were friendly, but Christopher prefers ye prefab. And ye people say: Vandyke dinkum Aussie house is bonza. Here ye Vandyke Brothers wish you ye very merry Christmas.” The text includes the name “Johnoldam”, which is likely to be a reference to noted architect and landscape designer John Russell Bramston Oldham (Aust., 1907–1999), who worked for the Vandyke Brothers during the early 1950s.

Anthony, Chris and John Vandyke began “building homes in Sydney in 1923. During the Depression, the Vandyke brothers patented the 'Sectionit' prefabrication system and began manufacturing with missionary zeal. The company produced many 'duration' houses and barracks for munitions workers and soldiers during [WWII]. In 1945 the Vandyke's company moved from Punchbowl to a larger ex-munitions factory at Villawood and expanded production, fulfilling several major contracts for government authorities, notably the NSW Housing Commission for which thousands of houses were manufactured. The company folded in 1955 after the NSW Government ceased contracting it…” Ref: DAAO; Powerhouse Museum; Wiki.

This promotional card was found behind a wardrobe in a prefabricated fibro house in Yagoona, NSW.

.
Item #CL205-45

Price (AUD): $880.00  other currencies

See all items in Cabinet