Nepean Towers, Douglas Park, NSW
Nepean Towers, Douglas Park, NSW
Nepean Towers, Douglas Park, NSW
Nepean Towers, Douglas Park, NSW
Nepean Towers, Douglas Park, NSW
Nepean Towers, Douglas Park, NSW
Nepean Towers, Douglas Park, NSW
Nepean Towers, Douglas Park, NSW
Nepean Towers, Douglas Park, NSW
Go Back

Nepean Towers, Douglas Park, NSW

c1870s. Group of nine albumen paper photographs, each titled in pencil on backing below image, 22.6 x 27.8cm (approx. each). Slight foxing overall, minor dents or surface loss to edges of some, each laid down on original album page.

Titles include “Dr [Jenkins’] House; Chapel, Nepean Towers; and Nepean Towers.” Some images show a party including a horse-drawn carriage, cattle with wagon and women on foot crossing a river at a ford with a footbridge.

The estate and residence, built by Sir Thomas Livingstone Mitchell (c1842-1844), was originally named Parkhall after his family home in Scotland. Between 1860 and 1883 it was owned by Dr Richard Lewis Jenkins, who renamed it Nepean Towers and added the colonnades and chapel visible in some images. The estate is now owned by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart and known as St Mary’s Towers Retreat Centre. Ref: Towers Retreat.

.
Item #CL181-59

Price (AUD): $4,400.00  Other currencies

See all items in Photography