Burdekin House, Sydney. A H. Fullwood, 1863–1930 Aust.
Go Back

Burdekin House, Sydney

1923. Etching, initialled and dated in plate lower right, signed, dated, titled and editioned 2/50 in pencil in lower margin, 15 x 19.8cm. Lightly inked impression, slight foxing overall.

Held in SLNSW. Burdekin House in Macquarie Street, Sydney, was built in 1841 for merchant Thomas Burdekin (c1799–1844). “It was owned and occupied by members of the Burdekin family until its sale in 1922 [when] the Royal Australian Historical Society unsuccessfully lobbied government to acquire the house for preservation.” The house was demolished in August 1933 for a new St Stephen’s Presbyterian Church to replace the existing one in Phillip Street. Burdekin House was at one time called “Sydney’s finest private residence,” and it “became an early catalyst for the heritage movement when it was demolished.” Ref: SLM; Dictionary of Sydney.

.
Item #CL199-92

Price (AUD): $990.00  other currencies

See all items in Photography, Prints