[Newtown-Marrickville District Ambulance, NSW]
Go Back

[Newtown-Marrickville District Ambulance, NSW]

c1930s. Silver gelatin photograph, panoramic format, partial and illegible inscription in faded ink in lower right corner, 15.3 x 38cm. Repaired tears and cracks, missing portions to corners. Laid down on acid-free backing.

Image includes 11 crew with two well-used Austin ambulances from Newtown-Marrickville district, identified with Maltese cross logos. In 1895 the Civil Ambulance and Transport Corps was established in NSW. The ambulance crew “wore a red cross to signify their humanitarian role.” In 1920, the Transport Corps, which was renamed NSW Ambulance Transport Service Board, adopted the Maltese cross as their symbol. The service commenced operation in 1921. Ref: ambulance.nsw.gov.au/about-us/history

.
Item #CL201-36

Price (AUD): $990.00  other currencies

See all items in Photography