Part Of The Black Town, Madras [India]. Thomas Daniell, 1749–1840 Brit.
Go Back

Part Of The Black Town, Madras [India]

1797. Hand-coloured aquatint, faint annotation in pencil below image, 48.1 x 65.2cm. Slight crinkles and soiling, minor cracking to plate mark, chips and repaired tears to margins.

Rare proof before text is added. Shows the area of Chennai now known as George Town or Muthialpet.

Image held in the British Library with the comment “Plate 8 from the second set of Thomas and William Daniell's Oriental Scenery. After the establishment of the Company's [East India] factory at Madras in 1639, weavers and merchants were attracted from many other south Indian centres, and settled along the coast north of Fort St George, in what became known as 'Black Town,' as opposed to the 'White Town' in the fort. Black Town was also included within the fortifications of Madras. The area was renamed George Town after the visit of King George V. The large domed building is the Armenian Church of 1772, and to its left the minarets of a mosque built by Muhammad Ali, the Nawab of the Carnatic [Sultanate].”

.
Item #CL205-1

Price (AUD): $2,200.00  other currencies

See all items in Prints